- Hotel Balzac
- Rooms & Suites
- Pierre Gagnaire
- Lounge & Bar
- Meeting Room
- Offers & Packages
- Contact Us
See the Edward Hopper Exhibition in Paris
October 15th, 2012
Edward Hopper Exhibition: See the work at the Grand
From October 10th 2012 - 28th January 2013 the Grand Palais, Galeries nationales is hosting a comprehensive showcase of Edward Hopper's work.
This retrospective exhibition covers the two main elements of his work; his formative years (1900 - 1924) and his mature years (through to 1966).
Emergence & American Realism
The formative section compares and contrasts his earlier efforts with that of his contemporaries and other Parisian influences; whilst the latter concentrates on his evolvement into what is widely considered to be the finest proponent of American Realism.
The exhibition will delve into the complex aspects of his work and analyse the contradictory ways in which his art has been interpreted over the years.
Hopper in Paris & Beyond
Hopper owes a great deal of his early development to his time spent in Paris; for a year in 1906 and shorter stays towards the end of the decade. The artist was heavily influenced by his surroundings, and by the work of Manet and Degas. The influence of Degas is particularly apparent in the originality of Hopper's angles, symmetry and his flair for poetic dramatisation.
During his stay in Paris, Hopper took up the mantel of impressionism, styling his techniques to explore harmonious balance and pleasure. Whilst back in the US he embraced the Ashcan School of which he had been a founder member. It was this collision of styles that drew out his version of American Realism and produced some of the most famous art works ever created.
How to Visit
The Galeries nationales is located just off the Champs-Elysées and is within walking distance of the the luxury Paris hotel, Hotel Balzac.
If you are looking to visit this exhibition, or any exhibition during your stay in Paris, our concierge will be happy to assist you.
Edward Hopper Exhibition
Galeries nationales (Grand palais, Champs-Elysées)
3, avenue du Général Eisenhower
- Paris Spring Special: Luxury Stay Including Breakfast
Spring Special: Luxury Stay Including Breakfast
- Early Bird
18% Discount on our Best Available Rate when you book early!
- Best Available Rate
The Best Available Rate at Hotel Balzac Paris
- Easter in Paris on the Champs Elysees
Easter in Paris on the Champs Elysees
- Museums and Art Exhibitions in Paris 2014
- Cartier Exhibition at the Grand Palais
- JJW Hotels and Resorts to Take Over Management of Le Meridien Penina
- The Sisters of Napoleon at the Musée Marmottan Monet
- Hotel Balzac Wins 2013 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence
- See Roland Garros and Stay at Luxury Hotel Balzac Paris
- Edward Hopper Exhibition: Paris
- Paris Motor Show 2012
- Hotel Balzac Receives 5 Star Accreditation
- Hotel Balzac Receives Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor
- Paris Film Festival
- Pierre Gagnaire Signs 12 Year Deal With Hotel Balzac
- Paris Fashion Week 2012
- Christmas & New Year in Paris with Hotel Balzac
- Hotel Balzac Invites you to see the Stein Collection
- Vendanges de Montmartre with Hotel Balzac
- Classique au Vert with Hotel Balzac
- Paris Plages for Summer in the City
- Spring in Paris Champs Elysées (1)
- A new General Manager for Hotel de Vigny
- Interview with Alexandre Scarvelis GM of Hotel Balzac Paris